Frequently Asked Questions
Have a question? Below you will find some common questions and answers the LGCA is often asked. If you have a question that isn’t listed here or need assistance, please contact us and we’d be happy to help.

If you are holding an event where liquor is sold or served, or holding a gaming event like raffle or bingo, or want to sell cannabis, you require a licence. The LGCA’s licences and permits have different eligibility and operational requirements. More detail can be found by visiting our website.
For social occasion permits (liquor) and raffles, you must be at least 18 years old. Social occasion raffles must also be a one-time event in a public place of amusement. Your event’s eligibility will be reviewed once your application is submitted.

Charitable gaming licences require an organization to be charitable or religious. Organizations must apply for eligibility before applying for event licences.

Prospective cannabis retailers must have entered into a retailer agreement with Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries (MBLL) first. For information on MBLL’s process please visit their website.
A one-time or single event is a stand-alone event for a limited amount of time. All ticket sales, draws and the awarding of prizes must take place at the event. You cannot pre-sell tickets or hold your event online under a social occasion raffle licence.
You can now apply for social occasion permits (liquor permits), social occasion raffles, charitable raffles, bingos and breakopen licences online through MyLGCA. You can also apply for organization eligibility through MyLGCA.
Please submit your applications in as far advance as possible, once you know the complete details of your permit event, social occasion raffle or charitable gaming event. Events requiring special considerations or location approval should apply earlier to allow adequate processing time.
Please submit your applications in as far advance as possible, once you know the complete details of your permit event, social occasion raffle or charitable gaming event. Events requiring special considerations or location approval should apply earlier to allow adequate processing time.
No. The individual or organization applying for the permit or licence must complete and submit the required applications.
You will receive a notification once your licence or permit has been approved, with the licence or permit attached. Licences and permits must be made available upon request so ensure you have a physical or digital copy available.
You can now apply for social occasion permits (liquor permits), social occasion raffles, charitable raffles, bingos and breakopen licences online through MyLGCA. You can also apply for organization eligibility through MyLGCA.
A sale permit is required if you will be selling liquor to guests. This could include events like a wedding social, festivals or fundraisers.

A no-sale permit is needed if you will be serving liquor to your guests at no cost. This could include events like a grand opening or family celebration.
Individuals, corporations and partnerships can be issued no more than two social occasion permits (liquor) and no more than two social occasion raffle licences each year. Non-profit organizations cannot be issued more than 12 social occasion permits and 12 social occasion raffle licences each year.

April 1 to March 31 is considered to be a year.
You can hold your event at a banquet hall or public room. Click here for a list of approved venues in Manitoba. If you wish to use a location that isn’t listed, please include its details in your application and we’ll review your request.
You can have your event on any day of the year, starting at 9:00 a.m., with the exception of Remembrance Day. Non-veteran events on Remembrance Day cannot begin until 1:00 p.m.

Most permitted event cannot go later than 2:00 a.m. At the time your permit expires, liquor can be consumed, but not bought or sold, for an additional 60 minutes. After 60 minutes, all unconsumed liquor must be removed. Please check your permit for details on your event times.
Yes. Social occasion raffles have conditions set out in the Criminal Code (Canada) and Terms and Conditions These include ticket prices being a maximum of $2 each, prizes cannot be more than $500, and each raffle can only make $10,000 maximum in revenue.
Section 207(1)(b) of the Criminal Code (Canada) allows charitable and religious organizations to conduct gambling events such as raffles. A couple getting married is not considered a charitable organization, nor are neighbours raising money for a family in need, despite their good intentions. Neither of these examples is eligible under this section of the Criminal Code (Canada).

The LGCA licenses raffles at social events under section 207(1)(d) of the Criminal Code (Canada). This section allows raffles to be held at events like wedding socials and does not require a charitable or religious organization. Section 207(1)(d) does have requirements about where the raffle can be held, ticket prices and prize values. Click here for more information.
You can purchase your liquor from any LGCA licensed retailer. This includes Liquor Marts, liquor vendors, speciality wine stores, beer vendors or a manufacturer with a retail endorsement.
The minimum drink price you can charge is $2.25 a drink. You can set your selling prices as preferred, so long as the price isn’t less than $2.25 per 43 ml (1.5 oz.) of hard liquor, 142 ml (5 oz.) of wine or 341 ml (12 oz.) of beer or coolers. If you are selling doubles at your event, the selling price must be double the minimum price (i.e. 2 oz. of hard liquor must be sold for $4.50 minimum).
You must not serve more than 85.2 ml (3 oz.) of spirits, 500 ml (17.6 oz.) of wine, or 1,000 ml (33.8 oz.) of beer, cider or coolers to an individual at any one time.

Remember, minimum pricing will apply. If you do sell larger-sized drinks, their prices have to be increased too because they must meet the required minimum drink price.
No. You cannot serve or sell homemade beer or wine at a permitted event. You must have receipts in your possession during the event to confirm that all liquor sold or served was purchased from a retail store licensed by the LGCA (i.e. Liquor Mart, beer vendor).
Only organization or community events with a permit may be advertised. Any advertising must include a social responsibility message like “Please Drink Responsibly”, and must comply with the Canadian Code of Advertising Standards.

Personal permit events like wedding socials cannot be advertised publicly. You can invite friends through social media, as long as the event isn’t advertised to the public.
A social occasion permit comes with a lot of responsibility, and you must follow all of the rules in the Terms and Conditions. Responsibilities include things like having receipts for your liquor, serving within your approved hours, ensuring minors are not served and ensuring no one has more than two drinks at one time. You must also let any inspector or police officer who attends into the event.
You can only sell tickets at the door to invited guests, with the exception of approved community or charitable events. For individual permit events like wedding socials, you should have a list of names at the front door of people who are planning to attend but haven’t pre-purchased tickets.
Yes. You can raffle off liquor, including homemade beer or wine, but it cannot be opened or consumed at the event. It must be taken home by the winner.
Only charitable and religious organizations are eligible for licensing under Section 207(1)(b) of the Criminal Code (Canada). Individuals and businesses are not eligible for charitable gaming licences like raffle and bingo. If you are holding a one-time event at a public place of amusement, you may be eligible for a social occasion raffle, click here to learn more.
A licence is not required if an organization is holding a free event or draw. Under the Criminal Code (Canada), when there is cost or consideration for a chance to win a prize, it is considered a lottery scheme and needs to be licensed. If your event does not cost or require anything to enter or participate, like a free draw, it does not require a licence. The event must be free and open to anyone who wishes to participate.
Funds raised through charitable gaming events must be used for education, religion, health, relieving poverty, or for community betterment. Funds cannot be used for anything that is personal gain. Provide as much detail in your application regarding your uses of profits. Details about uses of profit can be found here.
Yes. Eligible organizations can hold multiple charitable gaming event licences.
Under the Criminal Code (Canada), only licensed charitable raffle events can be held online. Organizations must provide the details of their online event, including the use of any suppliers, when they apply. Bingos and other lottery schemes cannot be held online.
A true silent auction, where participants place written bids for a prize and only the highest bidder pays money for the prize is not a raffle.
You cannot advertise your charitable gaming event until your licence(s) has been approved. Events can only be advertised in Manitoba and must include the name of the licensed organization and the licence number. Online advertising must indicate that the event is intended for Manitoba residents only. Advertisements must adhere to all federal, provincial and community advertising laws and standards.
Organizations outside of Winnipeg and in rural communities can apply for a raffle licence from their municipal, town or band office. These offices are authorized to issue raffle licences to eligible charitable and religious organizations, when the total prize value does not exceed $3,000. Not all municipal, town or band offices issue licences.

First Nation gaming commissions are also authorized to issue licences to eligible organizations for charitable gaming events, including raffle and bingo. Please contact your band office to see if your community has a First Nation gaming commission.
Please note that, the licence fee for most charitable licences has been reduced from 1.5% to 1%, as of April 1. The licence fee applies as follows:

  • Raffles, Bingo, Media Bingo, Sports Drafts, Calcutta Auctions and Texas hold'em poker tournaments with revenues of over $10,000 are subject to a licence fee of 1.0% of gross revenue to be submitted with the required financial reports.
Once you become a licensed cannabis retailer, email us at to set up an account. Once your account is created, you will be able to select the periods you wish to report for an either enter the details or upload a CSV file.
Yes. The monthly federal compliance report is submitted to Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries, who you order your cannabis from. The inventory report is separate and must be submitted to LGCA.
Yes. It is recommended that the individual responsible for inventory, such as a manager, should attend training, but the LGCA will provide training to any individuals who require.
MyLGCA generates upcoming reports based on your licence period. This means you may be required to report for a period prior to opening. In this case, you can submit a blank report, with a note stating on which date your started receiving orders.
No. The purchases category is used only for products received physically in the store and in your POS system.
It is recommended that shipments are received into your POS system immediately to ensure all your inventory is accounted for. If you are unable to do so at the end of the month, report the inventory during the month that it was received in the POS system.
Yes. The CSV file specifications are available once you log into your account or here.
Please either email a screenshot to your auditor or contact us here.
MyLGCA is a convenient, simple and transparent way to apply for licences and permits with the LGCA online. You can access MyLGCA online anywhere and at anytime, track your applications and receive notification when approved.

MyLGCA helps you save time by finding the correct applications and information, and provides step-by-step assistance in completing your applications.
Some programs require a MyLGCA account, like our charitable gaming and cannabis programs. Our social occasion permit (liquor) program can be accessed without an account.

By creating a MyLGCA account, you can save drafts of your applications, view their status, see your application and licence history, and easily apply for new licences and permits. It’s free and easy to create an account.