Frequently Asked Questions

What would you like to know about?
The liquor permit application combines the liquor permit and raffle applications. This application is for an event where liquor will be sold or served by the permit holder, whether or not the permit holder also plans to hold a raffle at the event. The raffle licence application is only for a licence to hold a raffle at an event, and does not allow the holder to sell or serve liquor.

You can apply for a raffle at your social when you apply for your liquor permit, simply by checking off the box on the application that states you plan to hold a raffle at your event. The approved liquor permit will note that there will be a fundraising raffle at the event. The permit holder (i.e. the person applying, whether it is you or someone else) must comply with terms and conditions listed on the back of the permit, including those related to holding a raffle.

If you are not applying for a liquor permit, you can apply for a raffle at your social simply by completing and submitting the raffle licence application.

You can apply for a social occasion liquor permit:

  • Online at
  • at the LGCA Winnipeg office located at 1055 Milt Stegall Drive
  • Online at
  • at any Liquor Mart or liquor vendor

You can apply for a social occasion raffle licence:

  • online 24/7 at
  • by submitting the social occasion raffle application
  • at any Liquor Mart or liquor vendor as part of your social occasion liquor permit application, if you are also applying to serve liquor at your event
Please apply for your liquor permit as soon as you decide to hold your event. You must apply for your liquor permit at least 14 days before your event.
You should apply for your raffle licence as soon as you decide to hold your event. Applications are usually processed within two to three business days.
You can indicate on your application that you are seeking a “Non-Profit Organization, Corporation or Partnership Permit”. We’ll review your eligibility. You may be asked to provide your organization’s constitution or by-laws, membership list and minutes of your most recent three meetings.
Please email digital copies of your documents to once you have completed your application. You will be assigned an application number once you complete your application. Please enter your application number in the subject line of your email.
Please contact us if you need to make changes to your application after it’s been submitted.

You will be assigned an application number once you submit your application. Once you’ve applied, you can visit to view the status of your application.

We will send you an email once your application has been processed. Please contact us if your event is within a few days and you haven’t heard from us.

Once it's approved, your permit will be emailed to you. You also have the option of requesting a copy of your permit from the retail location outlined in your application, or from the LGCA Winnipeg office.
If approved, your raffle licence will be emailed to you in PDF format. Please provide a valid email address in your application.
Please contact us if you have other questions or need more information.
If you’re 18 years old or older, you can apply for a liquor permit for yourself or on behalf of an organization. We will review your eligibility to hold a permit. Submitting an application does not guarantee you will be approved for a liquor permit.

Federal law in Canada is specific about how and where gambling activities can take place. For individuals and groups that are not bona fide charitable or religious organizations, raffles are only licensed for one-time social events and must be held in certain types of locations that are leased for the purpose of holding the event.

The law calls these locations “public places of amusement”. In Manitoba, this is defined as a place that is leased or used for the event and for which an admission fee is typically charged, such as a theatre, community hall, church, hockey rink or school. Banquet halls, hotels or restaurants are other examples of locations that would be considered eligible locations. Private residences or businesses (e.g. stores or offices) are not eligible locations.

A one-time or single event is a stand-alone event for a limited amount of time. All ticket sales, draws and awarding of prizes must take place at the event. You cannot pre-sell tickets under this type of licence.
If you’re having your event on your private residential property, you don’t need a permit as long as you’re not selling liquor.

You need a no-sale permit if you’re going to be serving liquor to your guests at no cost. Types of events may include business meetings, an official opening of a business, a family gathering following a religious ceremony, birthday celebrations, bridal showers or weddings.

You need a sale permit if you’re going to be selling liquor to guests. Sale permits can be issued to individuals, organizations, or corporations (profit and non-profit). Types of events may include socials, weddings with cash bars, festivals or fundraisers.

You can apply for a liquor permit for special projects to raise money for educational, charitable, religious or community activities. Examples may include:

  • a social to raise funds to send a child or adult for specialized medical treatment outside of the Manitoba; or
  • a social to raise funds to assist a family whose home has burned down and the loss isn’t covered by insurance.
You can have a raffle at liquor permit events such as socials and bud, spud and steak fundraisers, as long as you have a raffle licence from the LGCA. Raffles include 50/50 or player’s choice draws. There is no fee to have a raffle as part of your event and you don’t need to provide any financial reporting.

We recognize that sports teams and other community groups hold fundraising raffles as part of social events. You can apply for a social occasion raffle licence if you are holding a fundraising raffle at a one-time social event.

If you intend to hold a series of events over a period of time, such as a percentage payout raffle (often called a 50/50) draw at all home games or at a tournament, you need to apply for a community raffle licence as a charitable organization. For more information, click here.

If you are not applying for a liquor permit, you can apply for a raffle at your event simply by completing and submitting the raffle licence application.
No. Licensed raffles must take place at a public place of amusement, such as a banquet hall, restaurant or community centre. Private residences or business (e.g. stores or offices) are not eligible.

Section 207(1)(b) of the Criminal Code (Canada) allows charitable and religious organizations to conduct gambling activities such as raffles. A couple getting married is not considered a charitable organization, nor are neighbours raising money to help a family who has lost their home in a fire, despite their well meaning intent. Neither of these examples is eligible to be licensed to hold raffles under this section of the Criminal Code (Canada).

Fundraising raffles have always been a part of the Manitoba social and we wanted to find a solution to ensure that these raffles are legal and regulated. It is now lawful to hold fundraising raffles, but we license these under a different section, 207(1)(d), of the Criminal Code (Canada), which allows fundraising raffles to be held in public places of amusement at a one-time event.

You can hold your event at a banquet hall or public room. Click here for a list of approved venues in Manitoba. If you have a location in mind that isn’t on this list, please enter the location details on your liquor permit application and we’ll review your request.
You need a liquor permit if you’ll be bringing liquor into a venue. If the venue is providing the liquor, your event will fall under the venue’s liquor licence and you will not need a liquor permit. Please discuss liquor requirements with your venue before completing the liquor permit application.

You can have a liquor permit event on any day of the year starting as early as 9:00 a.m., except for Remembrance Day. Other than veterans’ events, events held on Remembrance Day cannot begin until 1:00 p.m.

Liquor service hours are noted on your permit. No permit event can go later than 2:00 a.m. At the time your permit expires, liquor can be consumed, but not sold or served, for an additional 60 minutes. After 60 minutes has passed, all unconsumed liquor must be removed from attendees including any liquor remaining on tables.

Some venues have time restrictions that require events to end earlier, so be sure to double-check with your venue on closing times.

If you are not applying for a liquor permit, you can apply for a raffle at your event simply by completing and submitting the raffle licence application.
You have the option of purchasing your liquor at any Liquor Mart, liquor vendor, specialty wine store, beer vendor or manufacturer with a retail endorsement. You do not need to indicate on your permit how much liquor you plan to purchase.
You should contact the store that you want to buy your liquor from as soon as possible to make sure the liquor you want is available. You can purchase your liquor from any Liquor Mart, liquor vendor, specialty wine store, beer vendor or manufacturer with a retail endorsement licensed by the LGCA.

We do not set a limit on the amount of liquor you can buy for your event. However, you may want to check with your venue to see if they have any restrictions. Staff at Liquor Marts, liquor vendors, specialty wine stores, beer vendors and manufacturers with a retail endorsement can help you to decide how much beer, wine or hard liquor to buy based on your guests’ preferences and responsible service guidelines.

“Please drink responsibly” should always be your message to your guests when serving liquor.

The minimum drink price you can charge is $2.25 a drink. You can set the selling price for liquor at your event at any price you want, as long as the price isn’t less than $2.25 per 28.4 ml (1 oz.) of hard liquor, 142 ml (5 oz.) of wine or 341 ml (12 oz.) of beer or coolers.

If you’re allowing bartenders to serve doubles (i.e. 2 oz. of hard liquor) at your event, the selling price must be directly proportioned to the minimum selling price. For example, if one drink is $2.25, you have to charge at least $4.50 for a double. $4.50 is the minimum price you can charge for a double.

Yes, as long as minimum drink prices are $2.25 per 28.4 ml (1 oz.) of spirits or liqueurs, 142 ml (5 oz.) of wine or 341 ml (12 oz.) of beer or coolers. You must provide written or posted information for your guests stating the price and quantity of liquor per drink.
No. You cannot sell or serve homemade beer or wine at liquor permit events. You must have receipts/invoices in your possession during the event to confirm that all liquor sold or served at the social occasion was purchased from a retail store licensed by the LGCA (i.e. Liquor Mart, liquor vendor, specialty wine store, beer vendor or manufacturer with a retail endorsement).

Taking out a liquor permit is a big responsibility. Liquor permit holders are required to follow all of the rules in the terms and conditions. You must read and accept all of these terms and conditions before you can submit your liquor permit application.

Here are a few highlights to keep in mind as a liquor permit holder:

  • You must be in attendance at all times during the event. If you leave for any reason, you need to attach a note to the liquor permit saying who is covering for you.
  • You are allowed to have more than one name on the permit.
  • Have receipts/invoices for the liquor you purchased readily available.
  • You can only serve liquor during the hours specified on your permit.
  • Make sure minors aren’t drinking liquor. Check ID of anyone who looks youthful.
  • Don’t let your guests bring in or take out liquor from your venue.
  • Don’t allow bartenders to serve more than 85.2 ml of hard liquor, 500 ml of wine, or 750 ml of beer to an individual at any one time.
  • Make sure no one has more than two drinks at the same time.
  • Make sure to provide enough food for all of your guests.
  • If an inspector or police officer shows up, you must let them in.

You can only advertise an organization or community event. Any ads must contain a social responsibility message, such as “Please Drink Responsibly”, and must comply with the Canadian Code of Advertising Standards.

Personal liquor permit events, such as wedding socials, cannot be advertised publicly. However, you can still invite friends over Facebook or email, as long as the event isn’t advertised to the general public.

You can only sell tickets at the door to invited guests, with the exception of approved community or charitable events. For individual liquor permit events such as socials, you should have a list of names at the front door of people who are planning on coming to the event, but haven’t pre-purchased their tickets. Make sure you don’t exceed the capacity of your venue.
Minors can attend your event, but they cannot purchase, handle, serve, sell or consume liquor. Check the identification of anyone who appears youthful to ensure all young-looking people are 18 years old or older. Click here to learn more about photo identification.
Yes. You must have enough food available for all guests attending.

Taking out a liquor permit is a big responsibility. Liquor permit holders are required to follow all of the rules in the terms and conditions, but there are additional things you can do to increase safety at your event.

  • Plan not to drink during the event. You’ll be more capable of controlling potential problems if you’re thinking clearly.
  • Hire trained bartenders for your event. Professional bartenders are required to complete the Smart Choices Responsible Service Certification program and know the liquor laws. Avoid using friends as bartenders, as they may not feel comfortable turning away an intoxicated guest.
  • Ensure your bartenders aren’t serving more than two drinks at a time to any one person.
  • Don’t serve doubles.
  • Identify security personnel with hats, t-shirts, etc. and have them circulate throughout the room during your event.
  • Remind your guests to designate a driver. This can be as simple as printing “Please plan to use a designated driver” on the back of your social ticket or arranging for rides or taxis. Remind guests throughout the event not to drink if they will be driving.
  • Don’t allow your guests to drive home drunk. Get them a ride with a sober person or send them home by taxi.
  • Plan to deal with guests who drink too much. Before the event starts, ask some guests to be prepared to help you if necessary.
Yes. LGCA inspectors visit many liquor permit events in the province. Inspectors at these events are focused on making sure the event is held safely and in a responsible manner. Their primary focus is on public safety issues, such as overcapacity, over service, underage drinking and service to intoxicated guests.
The value of each raffle prize must not exceed $500. However, if the prize is donated, it’s considered to have a value of zero.
The maximum amount you can make per raffle is $10,000. Each raffle is considered a separate event. However, if you are running a percentage payout raffle (often called a 50/50), you cannot sell more than $1,000 in tickets, as the prize then equals the $500 limit.
Each ticket cannot cost more than $2. You can sell packages of tickets as long as each individual ticket price is not more than $2. For example, you can sell a package of 10 tickets for $20 ($20/10 = $2 each) or 10 tickets for $5 ($5/10 = $0.50 each), but you cannot sell 10 tickets for $25 ($25/10 = $2.50 each).
Yes, “arm’s length” tickets can be sold, as long as each arm length has a minimum number of tickets to stay within the $2 maximum. For example, if an arm’s length costs $20, each person must receive at least 10 tickets.
Yes, you can now legally raffle off liquor, including homemade beer or wine. However, it cannot be opened or consumed until the winner gets it home. There is no need to call it “perfume” anymore. is convenient, simple and transparent.

  • Online access from anywhere.
  • Apply anytime – the site is available 24/7.
  • Keep track of your applications and get instant notification when approved.
  • Help is just a phone call or click away.
  • One application – no more deciding which forms you need.
  • Save time – no more trips to the liquor store for approval.
  • Step-by-step guide – no more guessing what you need to fill out.
  • Secure online payment – your information is safe and confidential.
  • Know what you’re paying – fees are broken down for each of your events.
You don’t have to create an account if you choose to apply online. You have the option of applying for a liquor permit and/or raffle licence as a one-time user.
If you create an account on, you can save drafts of your application(s), view the status of multiple applications, search your application history and easily apply for new permits and licences. It’s free and easy to create an account.